The Katogi Averoff winery is located in Metsovo, a mountain village built some 1100 metres above sea-level. Katogi Averoff began life in the late nineteen fifties, when Evangelos Averoff planted Greece’s first Cabernet Sauvignon vines on the precipitous slopes of Mount Pindus and bottled the wine now known as Katogi Averoff in the “katogi” (lower storey) of his home in Metsovo. Evangelos Averoff died in 1990, but Katogi Averoff SA continued to grow both rapidly and in accordance with the philosophy of its founder. New vineyards were planted around Metsovo, and the company continued to experiment with indigenous grape varieties and new blends of wine. The winery was brought up-to-date through a series of extensions, and the company increased its total production and expanded its national and international distribution.
The Katogi Averoff hotel & winery opened its door to the public in 2008. A pioneering Greek wine tourism operation situated in a magical natural landscape, the hotel & winery seeks to combine the world of wine with art and hospitality. A guided tour of the winery employs a range of audio-visual media to offer the visitor an original introduction to wine production and the history of the winery, and is rounded off with tastings of a selection of Katogi Averoff wines.
Managed by Alexandros Ioannou, Evangelos Averoff’s grandson, Katogi Averoff today continues to cultivate vineyards in the Metsovo region, focusing on reviving the indigenous varieties of the region and developing wine tourism. The wines of Katogi Averoff are internationally awarded and they are exported to more than 15 countries worldwide.
Certifications & Awards
- Inima Xinomavro 2015: Gold Texsom IWA 2020
- Katogi Averoff Red 2017: Silver Texsom IWA 2020
- Inima Negoska 2017: Bronze Texsom IWA 2020
- Katogi Averoff White 2019: Silver Berliner Wein Trophy 2020
- Inima Xinomavro 2015: Gold TIWC 2020
- Inima Negoska 2017: Bronze TIWC 2020
- Katogi Averoff White 2019: Bronze TIWC 2020
- Katogi Averoff Red 2017: Bronze TIWC 2020
- Katogi Averoff White 2018: Gold Asia Wein Trophy 2019
- Katogi Averoff Red 2016: Bronze Decanter Awards 2019
- Inima Xinomavro 2014: Bronze Decanter Awards 2019
- Rossiu di Munte Yiniets 2014: Bronze Decanter Awards 2019
- Inima Xinomavro 2014: Bronze Texsom IWA 2019
- Inima Athiri Assyrtiko 2018: Bronze Texsom IWA 2019
Katogi Averoff is a historic Greek winery situated in Metsovo, Epirus. It began life in the late nineteen fifties, when Evangelos Averoff planted Greece’s first Cabernet Sauvignon vines on the precipitous slopes of Mount Pindus and bottled the wine now known as Katogi Averoff in the “katogi” (lower storey) of his home. Nowadays, apart from the vineyards in the Metsovo region, which are Greece’s highest, in an altitude of 950-1050m, Katogi Averoff cultivates vineyards in other regions and produces three different ranges of products. Besides, it develops a pioneer wine tourism experience and it receives thousands of visitors every year from all over the world, who spread the word about the uniqueness of the region and the winery.
- Historic winery
- The vineyards in the Metsovo region are Greece’s highest, in an altitude of 950-1050m
- First Cabernet Sauvignon vines in Greece, planted in 1958-1959
- Wine tourism pioneer in Greece
- “Inima” product line focuses on indigenous grape varieties